10.02.2010

abstract conceptualization

Abstract conceptualization: Looking at things as concepts and ideas, after a degree of processing that turns the raw detail into an internal model.

I won’t lie to you, these types of learners during my graduate school years at University of South Florida intimidated me. Years later I find that I can have small moments similar to one who is in favor of abstraction. For me they are true north’s.

Just for fun take this quiz at http://www.gotoquiz.com/leadership_style

True north’s have the following attributes:
Like to be in control
Quick and to the point
Enjoys challenges and newness
not easily deterred

In the Merriam book, in Chapter 5 it describes the process of abstraction as a” cognitive activity that includes manipulating and categorizing information both in the long-term storage and working memory” (pg 56) Those moments of quick thinking, decisive problem solving and completely sure of the intended outcome can at times be allusive to many individuals.

I like to think that I recall Tuckman’s theory of Group Development and apply it to situations using abstract conceptualization but often I know that my understanding of Tuckman comes from constant use and reflection.

Often, I ask myself if this is part of the flight or fight brain function. Do individuals who are able to learn through abstract conceptualization charge into the fight more often than those who think longer about similar situations?

What do you think makes abstract conceptualization possible? Also, if you feel comfortable share what your leadership compass quiz results were.

No comments:

Post a Comment